BioAphytis (Aphytis melinus) is a parasitic wasp used in the control of california red scale (Aonidiella aurantii), oleander scale (Aspidiotus nerii) and oriental scale (Aonidiella orientalis). The female wasps lay eggs under the waxy shield covering the scale. A larva hatches and starts feeding on the scale as an ectoparasitoid, ultimately killing the scale insect. Adult female wasps actively search for suitable hosts; they prefer to parasitize 2nd and 3rd instar nymphs as well as unmated mature scale females.
On average, one female wasp can lay up to 100 eggs and can feed regularly on scale insects (host feeding) to obtain protein for egg development. Total development of BioAphytis from egg to adult is between 13 to 18 days depending on temperature. BioAphytis is well adapted to high ambient temperature of between 25°C to 35°C and low humidity. Aphytis pass through approximately three generations for every generation of red scale.
Consult with your local BioBee for product availability in your country.
- BioAphytis is packed in disposable cardboard containers with 5,000 or 10,000 adult parasitic wasps.
- Each container consists of 4 to 8 corrugated cardboards( depending on the amount of parasitic wasps).
Download Product PDF
- Shipped in insulated and chilled boxes, packaging must be kept intact until it reaches the end-user.
- Keep in a cool location until release.
- BioAphytis viability decreases rapidly with prolonged storage
- To apply, open the lid of the container and allow some wasps to fly out onto the foliage.
- Gently tap the lid to dislodge wasps from the lid/ rim of the container onto the foliage.
- Place one corrugated cardboard into the tree canopy for each release point.
- After all the corrugated cardboards have been removed, place the container into the tree for the final release point.
- During hot days, releases should be done during early morning or late afternoon.
The introduction rate of BioAphytis should be determined according to the crop and rate of infestation.
Before combining BioAphytis with any chemical pesticide in the crop, please consult your BioBee technical field representative.
Apply early morning or late afternoon
Do not store in sunlight
Apply within 24 hours
BioBee Sde Eliyahu Ltd. produces and markets biological products. Production is carried out using innovative techniques under controlled quality assurance standards such as ISO 9001:2015, as well as IOBC’s international standards for mass-production of insects. All products are tested to meet specification requirements before leaving the factory.
The success of biological pest control is affected by the crop’s initial pest population (upon application of the product), weather conditions and chemical residue present in the crop, among other possible aggravating factors.
Under no circumstance shall BioBee be liable for the outcome of the implementation in the field, as it has no control over local conditions, the application method, or the possible improper treatment/storage of the product.