Leptomastix algirica (Fam: Encyrtidae) is a parasitoid of some major mealybug pests. L. algirica is indigenous species, of unknown origin, which was discovered in Israel in 1997. Its distribution extends to the Mediterranean, East Asia, and North Africa.
L. algirica is a parasitoid of some major mealybug pests such as the solanum mealybug (Phenacoccus solani), the cryptic mealybug (Pseudococcus cyptus), the obscure mealybug (Pseudococcus viburni), the longtailed mealybug (Ps. longispinus), and the lantana mealybug (Phenacoccus parvus). The preferred hosts for the parasitoid are third instar mealybug nymphs, but the wasp will also readily parasitize second instars and young females
L. algirica controls mealybugs attacking various crops including: vegetables, especially tomato and pepper, greenhouse ornamentals, subtropical trees and citrus orchards.
The female wasp is black and about 1.5-2.5 mm in length, with distinctive black geniculate antennae. The male is smaller (1-2 mm long), also black in color, bearing an arch-like pair of antennae.
Bio® Algirica – The Product
- Bio® Algirica is an exclusive and innovative product– US patent pending no. 61/484,685, taking the form of mummies containing the parasitoid’s pupa, rather than adult wasps. Thus the product reaches its destination everywhere in the world when it is “fresh”, with negligible mortality in shipping, and with enhanced performance.
- The commercial package contains 100, 200 or 500 mummified mealybugs mixed in fine sawdust. At least 50% of the emerging adults are females.
- Bio® Algirica product has a novel hanging system which is especially designed to prevent ants from penetrating the package while at the same time enables the parasitic wasps to emerge undisturbed.
- Bio® Algirica is utilized both indoors and outdoors.
- Bio® Algirica is compatible with selective conventional chemicals (according to the list of pesticides provided by BioBee).
- Adult wasps will emerge from the mummies within 1-5 days depending upon ambient temperatures. Immediately upon emergence, the wasps will mate and then will begin searching for a host suitable for parasitization, i.e. third instar larvae or adult mealybugs.
- To apply, remove the lid, expose the adhesive surface of the label (to protect the contents of the package from ants) and place the package in a shady place, protected from rain or dew, preferably close to a mealybug-infested spot. Following their emergence, the wasps will fly out of the canister and disperse in between the plants. Do not sprinkle the mummies actively from the container.
- If ants are present at the mealybug hot spots, they must be destroyed. Ants encourage honeydew secretion by the mealybugs, transfer them from one place to another and protect them by actively interfering with the parasitoid.
- Bio® Algirica is shipped in temperature controlled Styrofoam boxes which must be kept intact until reaching the end-user.
- Keep the product at room temperature (not refrigerated!) until emergence has started (appearance of a few parasitic wasps). Avoid direct exposure of the product to sunlight!!!
- Two-three weeks following Bio® Algirica release (depending upon temperature, low temperatures could extend time to several weeks), mummified mealybugs can be clearly detected. The subsequent established generations of the parasitoid will effectively control the mealybugs in the longer run.
- Bio® Algirica Introduction rate should be determined according to the nature of the crop and the rate of mealybug infestation.
For more information please contact us.
BioBee Sde Eliyahu Ltd. produces and markets biological products. Production is carried out using innovative techniques under controlled quality assurance standards such as ISO 9001:2008, as well as IOBC’s international standards for mass-production of insects.
All products are tested to meet specification requirements before leaving the factory.
BioBee is not responsible for the outcome of implementation in the field, as it has no control over the method of application, local conditions, treatment/storage of product not according to instructions, etc.